CAMPTON-THORNTON FIRE RESCUE
Fire Danger Today is Level 2-Moderate
Serving the towns of
Campton, Thornton and Ellsworth,New Hampshire:
Our mission is dedicated to protecting life and property by providing the communities with fire safety, safety education, and fire prevention programs and providing the mitigation of fire, medical and related emergencies with professionally trained personnel.
Campton-Thornton Fire Rescue is a combination of career and call fire fighter / EMS personnel that provides the towns of Campton, Thornton and Ellsworth, New Hampshire with a full range of emergency services: fire prevention – public education, fire suppression, ambulance based emergency medical services, rescue and extrication services, winter snowmobile rescue, and swift water rescue. In the last two years CTFR has responded to over 600-700 incidents per year.
The department is an active participant in Lakes Region Mutual Fire Aid Association, part of 35 communities in New Hampshire's Lakes Region. CTFR also sponsors a Fire Explorer program that gets the youth of the area (ages 14 – 18) involved with community service.
Please feel free to review this website to discover more about the great group of individuals who make the Campton, Thornton, Ellsworth community a safety and special place to live, work and play. If you have any questions or comments, email or call CTFR. Be sure to check the home page often for current emergency notices.
Last Updated: April 23, 2013
Get your fire permit online!
Campton-Thornton Fire Rescue is pleased to announce that we are part of a trial in conjunction with NH Forests and Lands, and we are now able to offer online fire permits to residents of Campton, Ellsworth and Thornton. The system was designed by the same company that designed the online NH Hunting and Fishing licenses. There is a $3 fee, that is assessed by the designing company as part of an agreement with the state in exchange for designing and implementing the permit program at no charge to the State of NH. The State of NH does not charge for permits and therefore does not receive any of the $3 fee. For questions or concerns please feel free to contact the Station at 726-3300.
Click the link to fill out the form: https://nhdflweb.sovsportsnet.net/
Daniel Defosses Named Campton-Thornton Fire Chief
Pictured (L-R) Fire Chief Daniel Defosses and Deputy Fire Chief Ian Halm. See Events page for more info.
Last Updated: April 16, 2014
nh fire marshall's office releases January/February safety educator
The New Hampshire Fire Marshall's Office released the January/February Safety Educator. This time it is focusing on preventing scald injuries.
Last Updated:November 22, 2013
Releasing of Sky Lanterns prohibited by NH State Fire Code
Concord, NH - NH State Fire Marshal J. William Degnan announced today that his office is releasing a technical bulletin prohibiting the release of sky lanterns in New Hampshire. These paper miniature hot air balloons also known as Kongming Lanterns or “wish lanterns” have grown in popularity. Due to the increase, Degnan's Office has seen more incidents where these devices have caused fires in the state.
Fire Marshal Degnan has determined that these devices are considered to be recreational fires according to the NH State Fire Code. “Recreational fires must be attended at all times,” Degnan said. “Once you let go of the balloon, it is no longer attended.” If the balloons are tethered in some fashion then they are permitted to be used.
One of the popular places to light these balloons is at the NH Motor Speedway during race week. Deputy State Fire Marshal Robert Farley who heads up the fire safety detail from the state at the speedway has seen hundreds of these balloons. “We have seen lots of these devices in the air and we find them all over the place with clear evidence that they were burning when they landed,” Farley remarked. “We have evidence that these things have actually started fires on private property around the track.” Farley also said that they create a littering nuisance and a potential hazard to animals and small children because of the wire frames.
Unless tethered, releasing sky lanterns is considered a violation of the NH State Fire Code.
Last Updated: May 29, 2013
9 Volt Batteries - A fire Hazard!
In July, a fire broke out in a kitchen "junk" drawer which the resident stated she had just cleaned and organized. The fire produced smoke throughout the first floor of the home. In the drawer were spare keys, a cigarette lighter, paper clips, eye glass cleaner, and some batteries in a baggie along with everything else that you find in a "junk" drawer.
The local fire department determined the cause of the fire to be from a 9 volt battery stored in the same baggie with other batteries. The 9 volt battery rubbed against another battery and ignited the fire. In the homeowner's words, "We were fortunate not to have been away for the weekend!"
A 9 volt battery is a fire hazard because the positive and negative posts are on top, right next to one another. If the ends come in contact with anything metal i.e. aluminum foil, steel wool, paper clip, other batteries, etc. this will create the object to heat up and ignite a fire.
To store, keep in original packaging or keep ends covered. For disposal, make sure that the positive and negative posts are safely wrapped in electrical tape.
Remember to check your smoke alarms each month to ensure your family has the early warning to get out safely if a fire should occur in your home.
Last Updated: January 10, 2013